Monday, May 2, 2011

A Chesterton moment in St Ann Lafayette

So I have been in St Ann countless times to be sure... it was my home parish for a couple years, i attend a monthly Tridentine Mass there (indult for any Trads who might inquire), and I certainly go there frequently enough (perhaps to frequently) for 6:30 PM Wednesday Confessions.   So after being shriven, so to speak, I was waiting for the 7:00 PM.  Now not being possessed of much custody of the mind, my mind wandered as it is nearly always want to do.  I looked a the stained glass, and asked myself.... Doc, now you do travel far and wide within the adjoining states to visit old churches... what would you do if you came upon St Ann? What would it be like if you were right now encountering it for the first time?  So armed with my little Olympus I set about photographing the windows.  Many of the people in line for confession knew me, so I doubt they thought it strange... or at least already knew me to be a bit of an odd duck... so it was at least to be expected of me... if not per se normal.  So I will post a few exterior shots for those who do not know the church....and will focus mainly on the stained glass.   Very Irish I figure, as St Ann was the south-side parish for the Irish of limited means. Those with more pecuniary attributes headed up the hill to the Cathedral.  The saints largely stand in holy solemnity, as opposed to moving about as saints seem to do in more German stained glass windows. For a poorer parish, they are actually a step above the simple colored glass with medallion motif found in simple country churches, German or Irish. I think my favorite windows, though they are the few of simple medallion type are the stained glass windows in the confessional room. Now I lack the requisite philosophical or architectural knowledge to discourse broadly on the phenomenon, but I must say that there is a great satisfaction that comes from things being harmonious.   If you look closely the two medallions depict the all seeing eye of God and the keys of St Peter. Now one's sins are generally enough to occupy the mind....but should one, when the confessional is unoccupied, even by oneself, look at these windows... the connection to the Sacrament of Confession is both obvious and edifying.  Such things both grant the soul a subtle peace... and dare I say, for my wandering mind is ill suited to docility, they provide a simple starting point for meditation
I am also quite pleased with little details such as knowing if the child Jesus is pictured in a stained glass window.. He will always be blessing us...
 Here are the pics, see if you can identify all the saints
https://picasaweb.google.com/DocMeadows85/StAnnSelect#

No comments:

Post a Comment